Monday 4 April 2011

Life At The Speed of Bike


Earlier today I put on my cycling gear and went for a bike ride in the West Sussex countryside.
When I was a young lad,  learning to ride a bike was my first taste of freedom and presented me with the opportuntity to get away from it all. In the beginning, Mum forbade me to ride on the road, so I  embarked on brilliant back street adventures. Today, I still  I adore the sense of freedom that comes with riding a bike.

Bike speed is best  because its a bit like flying without wings and it enables me to witness wonderful things - like  birds of prey, fallow deer, beautiful landscapes, changing seasons, tea and cake.
I have no desire to enter the Tour De France. I prefer to let the racing boys zip by afterall I have nothing to prove, preferring to take in the sights instead.


Occasionally, I ride with my old pal Dave Richards ( see right) and sometimes I ride alongside mighty companion Elloa. (Unfortunately, Ell recently crashed during an off road adventure and her enthusiasm for life at the speed of bike has been temporarily put on hold.) Mostly, I  ride alone.  


When I was a young lad Dad encouraged me to join the Cycle Touring Club. Every Sunday morning a group of us would meet down beneath the railway arches in Whalley, Lancashire, and together we would embark on the most incredible adventures. I have fond memories of those Sunday jaunts with the CTC. I especially loved riding alongside Dad when I was growing up. He was my rock. 

I miss him.

Maybe this is why I currently choose to ride alone. When I ride alone I am in my power. My legs are spinning but my heart is still, and I feel his presence.

One of the things I would like to achieve in this lifetime is to ride this beautiful country from bottom to top. When I have completed this gruelling ride I will cross it off my bucket list of things to do before I kick the bucket.

' It is finished in beauty' - From the Navajo

3 comments:

  1. Such beauty, Nige. Thank you. I will picture you flying through the country side, not missing anything along the way:)xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nige,

    How is it that in your words, there is always but always a line that physically tugs at my heart - the sensation is akin to when you are a teenager and your heart skips a beat as you see the person you're in love with enter the room.

    How do you do that?

    'My legs are spinning but my heart is still, and I feel his presence.'

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "How is it that in your words, there is always but always a line that physically tugs at my heart

    Okay, Elloa, your words about tugging at the heart, totally tugged at mine. I love how you put this. My heart has felt so tugged at lately (in a really, sweet, good way) and this post from you, Nige, tugged again.

    I want to ride my bike with you two beauties in that gorgeous English countryside. When I was a young one (early twenties) I started bike-riding (off road) and fell in love. My husband & I have gone a few times together but typically I eat his dust and end up a little mad by the end of the ride...though the last couple of rides have been far more pleasant (he's learning). :)

    Anyway, some day maybe we can speed along together. Shall we?

    I'm so happy you have this beautiful release, dear Nige...heart still, legs spinning, his presence. Oh, my heart.

    <3

    ReplyDelete