Tuesday 19 April 2011

Smiler

This afternoon whilst working in the cafe I was asked to serve tea and scones and jam and clotted cream from a group of partial blind elderly people.

There is something quite satisfying and somewhat humbling in pouring tea for a partially blind elderly person or spreading thick strawberry jam on a homemade scone.

During  my time spent looking after the partially blind I met a wonderful lady with sparkly eyes called Smiler. Smiler was 101 years old. We chatted about life  and I asked her what the secret was to her longetivity to which she replied ... Contentment. WOW! This lady had lived through 10 decades and witnessed everything from two world wars, Edisons invention of the 1st talking motion picture, the death of princess Diana, barbie dolls and even Will Kellogg introducing cornflakes.

As I said goodbye to Smiler I realized that I may never see her again, and as she shuffled away I saw the great rays surrounding her body and radiating out, gently touching my heart like a brightly coloured flower.

When I left the building, I listened to the birdsong and drove home at a leisurely pace taking in the beautiful English countryside and I too felt content.

Today, a blind lady taught me that real vision goes beyond the body's eyes. The gift of sight is a wonderful thing and in every single moment I am faced with one of two choices; to open my eyes to love or to keep them shut tight and my heart closed. It's either love or fear every time.

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Herein lies true contentment.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...I want one of those scones, you reminded me that I'm very hungry and need to eat. :)

    The gift of sight is such a wonderful thing, Nige...it is a gift you clearly have.

    Here's to seeing and being content and good, yummy scones.

    Sending you love today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post. i just posted the serenity prayer on my blog, too.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, Nige. I could just feel the light and love so quiet, so powerful. XO

    ReplyDelete